Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Saying goodbye to London

I can't say that I am sorry to be leaving London. We are at the end of our trip and we are all tired and ready to be headed home. The day started out in a hectic way as we started to pack . I headed out to find a bank machine so that we could pay for our cab ride. Our metro station did not not have a bank machine so I ended up running(literally) up to Highgate Village in search of a bank machine.


We got packed up and all of our stuff downstairs. Our cab showed up 1/2 hour late. We had a LONG wait for British Airways at check-in and then going through security they continually hassled us over the number of bags since we were carrying bags for our children. This was followed by a woman who was very upset with us for the large size of our carry-ons despite the fact that it was within British Airway's given dimensions. Her co-workers were forcing her to let us pass but she told us she was sure that security would not allow us to proceed because of the size of our carry-ons. Her co-workers seemed to be shaking their heads. This women must have a miserable life to wish others to be miserable also. We have had such good previous experiences with British Airways that I am still impressed by this poor state of service.


I came to London expecting to really enjoy the city. I was hoping to find something I would like about it that would justify the expense of visiting. Unfortunately I didn't discover anything for myself. The few people I stopped on the street to ask what they liked about London were all trying to move away. The one answer I got is that London used to be "Free and Easy". I don't know exactly what that means but it does not sound like our experience here. Before anyone from London or England is offended, let me offer the following: We have visited London for only 5 days, my opinion is formed based on only the smallest of samplings. We do not judge England by London anymore than we judge the United States by New York. London is a big city. We experienced only a little piece of it and had many positive experiences. But, it is not our city. It does not seem to be a family friendly city. If you live in London and feel otherwise please share what you like about it. I may just be tired at the end of a long trip. Posted by Picasa

No comments: