Friday, March 13, 2009

Agua Calentes to Cusco



The kids were fully loaded with their purchases.

Today was mostly a day of recovery for me. We went to bed early last night and slept in untilafter 7am. We got packed, had a leasurely breakfast and went down to the train station by 9amto catch the 9:30 train. At around 10am they annouced that there had been a small landslideand that the train would be delayed a hour.



This little hydroelectric dam powers a small town and sends excess power off to Cusco
I am feeling a little better today than yesterday (up to 20% from about 10%), just a nastycase of the squirts and a general lack of energy. I am a bit surprised to run intoproblems here after having no problems in Guatemala or China.

Laurel purchased a couple pairs of travel pants for the summer. Long pants with zippers toturn tnem into capries or turn them into shorts. The fabric is kind of thin so they should be comfortable. Hopefully they will wear decently as well.


Parts of Peru remind me of Switzerland.

As a side note the Rick Steves travel bags we purchase for our Summer European trip areamazing. These small airplane carryon sized bags can hold so much stuff and are so well organized. Alsorecommended to us where the Rick Steves travel cube suitcase organizers. Most organizationstuff in my life quickly makes it's way to the bottom of a pile, gets thown in the closet andthen ends up at a yard sale or thown out. This is actually the first time I have really feltorganized and somewhat tidy while traveling for a more than a weekend. The suitcase comes withtwo very small (which is the correct size for traveling) laundry bags. I thought that this was silly until we were having stuff launderedand I still had a laundry bag so that I could continue to keep my dirty cloths seperated from my clean clothes.


This is a VERY steep hill. We saw this on the way to Ollanttaytambo and our driver (sporting
an evil smile) thought that we would enjoy going down it on the way back to Cusco.
We had a late lunch at Audino's today after arriving back in Cusco. This has been the first foodthat we have had in Cusco that was actually good. It was also about 1/2 the price of Papaplanchawhich gets recommended by all the hostels. Since the food there is good I am actually goingto order Cuy (Guinnea Pig) (Yummy!!) once my stomach settles back down.

No comments: