Monday, March 09, 2009

Lima - Dinner & a beach



We spent the afternoon visting the beach near our hostel. Much to our surprise the beach was filled with locals rather than tourists. We spent some time strolling around and throwing rocks onto the ocean with the locals.


Our son discovered one of the favorate drinks of Peru: Inca Kola. This is a bubble gum flavored soda which is popular with our son but would be an aquired taste for the rest of us.


We had one of the best dinners we have ever had at Javiers, just up from the beach in the Barranco. One of the top 10 meals we have had at any price and THE top for the price: $66USD for 4 people with excellent 30% tip including wine, mixed drinks, shrimp, fish, steak, desert, great service, a spectacular view of the pacific and a tour of their spotless kitchen. Worth the price of the airline ticket to Lima!

1 comment:

Friend Sue in QCA said...

So pleased to talk to your folks last eve. I had been trying to get them on their cell....would always leave a message...Finally Marilyn K. gave me their land phone number....It was great to hear their voices again as I've missed them...Returned the 2nd week in Feb. from 3 weeks in NZ & a week in LA. Was able to get down to see Tom & Carolyn & Russ which was great. I only went to an e-mail cafe once & really didn't want any part of technology when 'down under' as I do too much e-mailing at home...Complete vacation from such...It was a great trip...Went with Elderhostel which can't be beat for quality of experience in that we had lectures from college professors, naturalists, govt. folks, etc. Your SA venture is comparable to mine. I went to all these places you've already gone during the summer of 1996. Melissa Friedhof had been studying there for over a year, so she greeted her mom, sister, aunt, Judy Stengel and me...What a great resource as she did a lot of speaking for us...translating too. Plus, she already had friends in Ariquipa so we met and interacted with a lot of natives...Did Machu Pichu, of course....All others except Marcy, her aunt, and I did the Inca Trail. We were there to meet them upon their arrival....I thought it a bit too much for me then, but think I could make it now...I have a pic I took on top that could be in National Geographic...a bit of bragging, but it's true...I'll show you sometime. You are getting some great pics. I wonder where else you'll go in Peru? Now that I can pull up the blog I'll find out. I think it's great that your family travels like you do...your mom told me you are going to have a foreign exchange student next school year. That will be a fine epxerience for all...Lucky student to be assigned to your home in AZ...Hope I can now send this....Happy on-going travels, Sue